LLTI Archives

October 2008, Week 5

From:
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 16:34:14 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from David Kleinberg <[log in to unmask]> ---

LLTI-Editor wrote:
> --- Forwarded Message from "Graul, Leslie" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>

>> Subject: Receiving TV-5 and other programming at Satellite 118.7
>> Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:25:03 -0400
>> From: "Graul, Leslie" <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: <[log in to unmask]>
>>

> I'm wondering how much others have had to spend to upgrade from existing
> Dishnet equipment to receive TV-5 and other programs recently relocated
> to a new satellite.  This satellite is located at 118.7.
>
> I am told that purchase and installation of the dish and LNB will be
> somewhere in the neighborhood of $700 - $800.  According to what I can
> find on line, we need a Dish 500+ or Dish 1000+ (which are no longer
> available) dish with a circular FSS LNB.  Checking costs of purchase of
> these items, if I understand correctly, they could total under $150.  I
> would then guess that I'd be charged around $600 for installation.  Of
> that $600, would I guess that around $200 would be for parts?
>
> Leslie Graul
> Director, Instructional Media Services
> Thiel College
> 724-589-2853

> LLTI is a service of IALLT, the International Association for
> Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language
> Teaching
> and Learning (http://www.languageconsortium.org/).
> Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.
> Otmar Foelsche, LLTI-Editor ([log in to unmask])

We had our Dish Network setup adjusted back in November 2007 when they
moved the French and German programming to another satellite. Not sure
how you didn't notice the changes until now.

 From my notes:
We paid $109 for a "redirection kit" (hardware) which was attached to
the existing dish to receive the new satellite's signal, plus $15 for
shipping.
The local satellite installer charged us $200 for the installation work
(I think about $80/hour).

Dish Network was willing to credit us $24.74 for the two weeks where we
did not get our programming, and $150 (roughly half) to defray the costs
of the repair/upgrade. They were only willing to give us the credit
after we threatened to discontinue their service, since they had made
changes on their end that prevented us from receiving the signals we
were paying for.

I suggest contacting a local contractor and see if you can get a
redirection kit instead of a new dish and LNB altogether.
Hope that helps.

--
David Kleinberg, Ph.D.
Language Lab Director, Instructor of German

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.