LLTI Archives

October 2008, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2008 17:42:18 -0400
Greetings one and all!

Here at Hamilton College, we recently procured a high end XServe for
use with our language materials. Two quad core processors, 8 GB's of
Ram, and tons of hard drive space paired with OS X Leopard. The server
is fully patched.

There are two issues we're facing. The first one is a web-based one.
Currently the server operates as a file server, but we want it to do
more. I'm having an issue getting the web interface to work correctly.
The control panel that turns on the web services crashes when I
activate the service. The panel itself is fine - but the web service
"turn on" sequence crashes & burns and won't turn on.

The second issue we're having is an issue with permissions. We want to
be able to share the media files we have on campus, but need them to
be password protected due to copyright issues. I prefer to keep the
server away from the "active directory" servers on campus - I've heard
bad things about it. I'd rather not add to a situation more variables.

Any ideas?

Jeremiah Spoon
Language Center Coordinator/Technologist
315.859.4792

[...]

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.