LLTI Archives

October 2008, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:50:11 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Chris Meyer <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 00:36:32 -0400
>From: Chris Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #8985 OS-X Server Question

We've been using Leopard Server for about six months now and having it
hooked into Active Directory has been pretty smooth compared to some of
the other problems we've had. (Leopard's server utilities, unlike their
consumer-level bretheren, seem to be less than polished. I've had Server
Admin and Workgroup Manager crashing regularly on me, and the System
Image Utility goes belly up if the preferences aren't set *exactly*
right.) The whole "magic triangle" directory binding was a little tricky
to set up, but at least it's been relatively stable so far (knocking on
plenty of wood, here). I can certainly understand the trepidation, though.

John's htaccess idea is a good one--I believe it's even possible to set
up multiple accounts and user groups for authentication, although of
course that gets pretty clunky pretty quickly. A slightly more advanced
method that might tie into your campus-wide authentication system while
keeping you away from AD would be checking if you have any LDAP servers
you can bind OS X to. The answer may well be "no", but it's worth a shot.

One last thing to try would be using either the firewall or an htaccess
file to restrict viewership of the copyrighted materials to on-campus
addresses. Not much good to students living off-campus (unless they use
an HTTP proxy), but better than leaving the files open for all to see.
Again, I don't know your particular situation, so I don't know how
feasible this is.

Good luck, and I hope some of this helped.

-Chris Meyer
Programmer/Analyst
Yale Center for Language Study