LLTI Archives

October 2008, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:54:02 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from William McKee <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: William McKee <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8985 OS-X Server Question
>Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:28:22 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Dear Jeremiah,

I am using Leopard (on a Mac Mini, not an Xserve) as a web server and
found that it uses a version of Apache 2.2. The apache website has
tons of good documentation on configuring and running their web
server software. ( http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/ )

I have configured it with the additional OpenSSL, PHP and Perl
modules and they all work well. The configuration control files are
located in "/etc/apache2" directory. After changing the files,
remember to restart the web server with "apachectl restart".

Check your "/var/log/apache2/error_log" file to get an idea why your
web server is crashing.

To use passwords to control access to parts of your website, check
out http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/htaccess.html.

Leopard's GIU interface is great but it's good to be familiar with a
Darwin/Unix command shell (I use "bash") to configure and control
your Xserve.

All the best,
Will.

William A. McKee <[log in to unmask]>