LLTI Archives

October 2008, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:53:58 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Johnathon Beals <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date:         Wed, 22 Oct 2008 18:02:56 -0400
>From: Johnathon Beals <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8985 OS-X Server Question
>To: [log in to unmask]

One easy way to do password protection without hooking into Active Directory
would be to use the htaccess file and put the directory itself behind a
password. The only drawback here is that it would be one password (which you
could change every semester or so) instead of being tied into the campus
authentication.

I've never personally done this, so I can't be more specific, but I know it
is a tried and true method to do simple password protection of files. I'm
sure a google search for "htaccess password protect" will bring up more than
enough relevant material. I think you can put this file in each directory as
well and have different passwords (for different languages for example).

Regarding the crashing of the Apache webservice, I couldn't tell you what
might be causing it. Could be a corrupt httpconf file, but that's just a
stab in the dark.

--John Beals

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.