LLTI Archives

October 2008, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2008 15:07:08 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 06:53:11 -0400
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Clips--specific classroom uses

The librarians are trying to get an exception to the
encryption-circumvention law for a broader range of instructors & media
(currently the exception applies only to film and media studies
instructors using materials purchased by their own departments).

Would anyone have examples of the use of clips in the language classroom
in such a way that makes ripping from the DVD essential or at least
hugely more convenient?

I used an example of an exercise for a lab class for elementary Spanish
students; they watch a film clip with English subs to understand the
story (which they discuss in pairs in Spanish), then watch it without
subs with a cloze exercise in Spanish as a  listening exercise.

Do you have examples where using a DVD (with its encryption, rather than
a subtitled VHS tape, for example) as the source of a clip for class use
is important? I am thinking that language classes form a different
category from any other, since a clip can be manipulated for listening
in a language lab in ways that the hard copy never could.

The classic example, of which they will have many, is the prof who wants
to show a series or montage of clips to make a point in class.

If you have examples, send them to me ([log in to unmask]). They will
be kept anonymous but become part of the documentation for the request
for exemption.

Judy Shoaf

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.