LLTI Archives

October 2008, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:17:19 -0400
$ACHello all,

If you haven't yet been to "LangTech at the KFLC", the opportunity is here once
again for you to join us for language technology in the Bluegrass!

This is the 4th year of the Language Technology division of the Kentucky Foreign
Language Conference, and we continue to grow and prosper in the international,
multilingual, multidisciplinary setting of the KFLC.

We would be pleased to host you at this year's event.  I hope to hear from you.

Mark Lauersdorf

P.S. A .pdf version of this Call for Papers is available for you to share with
your colleagues in the language programs who may not be on LLTI. Please contact
me directly if you would like one.

P.P.S. For those who may not be familiar with the KFLC, here is a short blurb
with conference information:
"The KFLC is an international academic conference that brings together
researchers in language, literature, culture, and linguistics in the fields of
Arabic, French, German, Hispanic, Italian, Luso-Afro-Brazilian Studies as well
as Language Technology and Second Language Acquisition.  It takes place in April
each year on the campus of the University of Kentucky in Lexington Kentucky, and
is marking its 62nd year in 2009."

***********************************

CALL FOR PAPERS -- LANGUAGE TECHNOLOGY

Heading into its fourth year as an official division of the Kentucky Foreign
Language Conference, "LangTech at
the KFLC" seeks high quality papers on any aspect of:

Technology for Language, Literature, Culture, and Linguistics

We are continuing our efforts to attract presentations specifically on the use
of technology in *literary, cultural, and
linguistic* teaching and research, including but not limited to:

- integrating technology into literature, culture, and linguistics classrooms
- technology as a tool for student projects and research in literature, culture,
and linguistics
- faculty research in literature, culture, and linguistics employing technology
tools ("digital humanities")

Abstracts are, of course, also welcome in *all* other areas and aspects of
technology and language, such as:

- using tech tools and techniques for language instruction in all skills and on
all levels
- guiding language educators toward optimal use of technology in their teaching
and research
- employing technology-based research and publication in language scholarship
- managing language technology in an academic setting

The KFLC has a tradition of attracting scholars from a broad range of languages
and specializations. This year's
conference will have sessions in Arabic, French, German, Hispanic, Italian, and
Luso-Afro-Brazilian Studies, as
well as Second Language Acquisition. We would like to see this broad range
represented in the Language
Technology sessions, to encourage cross-pollination of ideas among the
individual languages and disciplines
working to integrate technology into their teaching and research programs, and
to encourage participants from the
various literature, culture, and linguistics sessions to join us in our
discussions.

Abstracts should be no more than 250-300 words in length and should be submitted
directly online at:

KFLC Abstract Site: http://www.kflcabstracts.uky.edu/

In view of the multi-language audience that we hope to attract to all Language
Technology sessions, the
recommended language of presentation is English.

Deadline for submission of abstracts and panel proposals is *24 November 2008*.

All proposed abstracts will be considered for inclusion in the KFLC program.
Acceptance of a paper implies a
commitment on the part of the participant(s) to register and attend the
conference. All presenters must pay the
appropriate registration fee by 15 February 2009 to be included in the program.
The conference will take place
16-18 April 2009 on the campus of the University of Kentucky in Lexington.

For more information on conference logistics, please visit:
http://web.as.uky.edu/kflc/. For specific information on
the Language Technology sessions, contact the division leader at the coordinates
listed below.

We look forward to seeing you in beautiful springtime Kentucky as a contributor
to the continued growth and
success of "LangTech at the KFLC"!

Mark Lauersdorf

-----------------------------------
Dr. Mark Richard Lauersdorf
KFLC $E2Ai Language Technology division leader

Associate Professor of Languages and Linguistics
Director of Language Technology
Dept. of Modern & Classical Languages
1055 Patterson Office Tower
University of Kentucky