LLTI Archives

October 2008, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:10:06 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 09:41:05 -0400
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #8970.1 Video clips

 > So is it circumventing the coding to take the analog output of a DVD
player
 > and send it to a digital media converter to capture the video with or
 > without subtitles?  I know the quality is slightly lower but by the
time you
 > compress it it shouldn't make any difference.-- Tom Browne

The encoding in question is installed to prevent copying (or, in the
case of regional encoding, to prevent its being played on a different
region player. I believe the anti-copying encoding is called RSS. In
order to "rip" a clip from a disk with RSS, one needs a program or
player which circumvents the anti-copying/regional code. It is not
difficult to do this but it is illegal.

The ruling allowing film and media instructors to circumvent these codes
implies that the act of creating a short clip for classroom use
(face-to-face teaching) from a piece of media that does *not* have this
encoding is legal.

That is to say, the reformatting necessary to make a video clip from a
VHS or DVD falls under fair use. As you note, the original will look
better, but sometimes clips are more convenient.

I should add that some DVD companies on the videolibrarians' list
(notably Kino) think it is fine to make a clip from their videos for
classroom use, whether or not it involves circumventing a RSS code.

Judy Shoaf

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.