LLTI Archives

October 2008, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2008 14:13:33 -0400
Felix,

I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I can offer some info. that
may be helpful. In 2005 IALLT conducted a membership survey, aimed primarily at
administrators of language centers. The results were published in the IALLT
Journal, Volume 38, No. 1, 2006.  Among the questions and results:

Questions #49.  How many full time professional staff members do you have, not
including yourself?

0  58 respondents (50%)
1  25 responents (25%)
2   8 respondents (7%)
3   8 respondents (7%)
4   3
5   1
6   1
7   1
8   1
11   1
12   1
14   1
12   1
30   1

50.  How many part time professional staff members do you have?

0   58 (80%)
1   17 (15%)
2   8 (7%)
etc.

Unfortunately I don't believe the data allows one to easily coordinate size of
the institution to number of staff.

The survey data includes information on institutional size and status, the job
responsibilities of the person completing the survey, salary, services provided
by the centers, etc.

I hope this is helpful.

David Pankratz
Loyola University Chicago
(IALLT President 2001-2003)

>>1> LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> 10/10/2008 1:20 PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from Felix Kronenberg <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 16:18:23 -0700
>Subject: Number of positions at liberal arts colleges
>From: Felix Kronenberg <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>

Dear all,

I am trying to find out which language centers/labs at liberal arts colleges
have more than one staff/faculty member working for it?

I know that, for example, some colleges have a faculty member and a
technical support staff person, part-time or full-time.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to share that this information with me.

--
Dr. phil. Felix A. Kronenberg
Asst. Professor of German

Mason Hall 107, 550 Harvard Ave.
Pomona College
Claremont, CA 91711
phone: (909) 621 - 8620

http://flrc.pomona.edu/
http://german.pomona.edu/
http://bootcamp.pomona.edu/
http://swallt.org

This message has been scanned by Postini anti-virus software.

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.
I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I can offer some info. =
that may be helpful. In 2005 IALLT conducted a membership survey, aimed =
primarily at administrators of language centers. The results were =
published in the IALLT Journal, Volume 38, No. 1, 2006.  Among the =
questions and results:
=20
[...]
size of the institution to number of staff.=20
=20