LLTI Archives

October 2008, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:20:27 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 12:04:08 -0400
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Video clips and copyright  ONE MORE TIME

OK, this is a complicated website Mr. Handman has put up. I made 2 posts
already, relevant to streaming video, but this one is different.

THIS is his letter re. circumventing access controls in making clips:

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/dmcacomments.pdf

At the bottom of this page,
http://mrcstream.wordpress.com/category/dmca-comments/
you can enter comments supporting his initiative.

This is a significant effort we IALLT folks can make, since clips from
DVDs with varying subtitles (none, same-language, English) are so useful
in teaching.

Right now it is illegal to make such clips for classroom teaching from
DVDs which have technical access controls (coding), including of course
region coding.

It is legal to make them from, say, a VHS tape, or a DVD which has no
such encoding; however, most DVDs DO have the encoding

The current state of rulemaking allows film and media professors to
circumvent coding to make clips for classroom teaching, but not other
teachers.

So the request Mr. Handman is offering is for the right of all teachers
to circumvent the coding in making clips.

Judy Shoaf

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.