LLTI Archives

October 2008, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2008 14:16:59 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Trip Kirkpatrick <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date:         Wed, 8 Oct 2008 10:10:13 -0400
>From: Trip Kirkpatrick <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8962 Online Placement Exam ? Questionnaire (PLEASE HELP!)
>To: [log in to unmask]

>>Subject: Online Placement Exam ? Questionnaire (PLEASE HELP!)
>>Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 13:28:00 -0400
>>From: "Canfield, Douglas W" <[log in to unmask]>

>Times being as they are, those of us associated with the FL Placement Exam (we
>use WebCAPE, but administer the exam in-person during Orientation) have been
>summoned to meet with the Provost's office to discuss moving placement
exams out
>of Summer Orientation, and have them delivered instead online during the
summer.

>1. What placement test do you use?

All of our placement exams are homebrew.

>2. Is credit awarded for classes that they place out of? If so, how does that
>work in your institution?

Not at all.

>3. Are students required to take the exam in-person even though the exam is
>online? If not, how have you addressed the potential for academic dishonesty?

The French and Spanish exams are offline and required in-person. Nearly 400
this year for Spanish, something north of 300 for French.
The Chinese and Japanese exams consist of one part Quia and one part OPI.
Next year's Korean placement will be similar. (Not OPIs hewing to any
particular standard, to my knowledge, but I hope one of my colleagues here
will correct me if I am inaccurate.)
All others are strictly in-person, AFAIK.

Andrew Ross's mention of shopping period and of students more likely to
sandbag than to push ahead are relevant to us as well. For a few years now,
incoming students are not allowed to test out of the language requirement.
However, my impression is instructors in large-enrollment languages have a
concern about the process of re-placing sandbagging students during shopping
period occupying time they don't have.

Finally, we have no honor or honesty code (stop that snickering!), which has
been mentioned by instructors not keen on the idea of having placement tests
online.

Best,
Trip

--
Trip Kirkpatrick
Interim Manager, Technology and Project Development Center for Language Study

e: [log in to unmask]
w: http://www.cls.yale.edu/

skype/twitter: tripst3r

Any opinions expressed here are mine alone. If Yale wanted my opinion,
they'd tell me what it was.

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.