LLTI Archives

October 2008, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2008 13:55:34 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Canfield, Douglas W" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: Online Placement Exam ? Questionnaire (PLEASE HELP!)
>Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 13:28:00 -0400
>From: "Canfield, Douglas W" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

Dear All:

Times being as they are, those of us associated with the FL Placement Exam (we
use WebCAPE, but administer the exam in-person during Orientation) have been
summoned to meet with the Provost's office to discuss moving placement exams out
of Summer Orientation, and have them delivered instead online during the summer.
Apparently, they took the time to review seventeen schools and found that we are
the only university that still conducts placement exams in person during Summer
Orientation. All the other universities they reviewed conduct the placement
exams online and offsite. Of course, none of the reviewers can seem to remember
who they talked to...I'll bet their memories come back to them @ the meeting!

I seem to remember a post a few years back where Andrew Ross was expressing
reservations about the prospect of using online/offsite exams over the summer --
questions of validity, security, and integrity, if I recall. But no bites...or
more likely, you all replied to Andrew off-list.

Frankly, I just need a lot of data right now...and quick.

Just so that there is a record of this for others who might find themselves
summoned in the future, I think it would be best if you could reply to the list
(so we're not re-inventing the wheel in a few months/years) but I'll take
answers to this questions however you feel comfortable sending them (on or
off-list). I need anyone and everyone, especially those who handle several
hundreds to thousands of exams during Orientation online, to respond to the
following questions:

1. What placement test do you use?
2. Is credit awarded for classes that they place out of? If so, how does that
work in your institution?
3. Are students required to take the exam in-person even though the exam is
online? If not, how have you addressed the potential for academic dishonesty?

Again, any and all thoughts and suggestions are gratefully accepted.

Best,

DOUG

Douglas W. Canfield
Coordinator III, Language Resource Center
Dept. of Modern Foreign Languages and Literatures
University of Tennessee - Knoxville

<< L'homme ne peut pas decouvrir de nouveaux oceans a moins qu'il ait le courage
de perdre le rivage de vue. >> - Andre GIDE

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.