LLTI Archives

October 2008, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2008 17:33:20 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Dennie Hoopingarner <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Dennie Hoopingarner <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Placement Test response
>Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 14:54:36 -0400

At Michigan State, we use a placement test that was developed in-house.

Students do not receive  credit for the test, but they can use their
score to waive certain language requirements for certain programs, at
the discretion of the program faculty.

Academic honesty is not a concern with this test. Since the placement
test is intended to be used for placement, students would be foolish
to cheat and place themselves into a section beyond their proficiency
level. In fact, I'm sure many will agree that we often have the
opposite problem: students deliberately doing poorly on the exam in
order to place themselves in a lower level. On a side note, we did add
a proctoring function for those occasions where students use the test
for other purposes. The test is administered in our Testing Office,
and proctors enter a code that marks the test administration as
proctored.

Hope this helps!

Dennie Hoopingarner, Ph.D.
Director, Language Learning Center
Associate Director for Technology Implementation, CLEAR
Michigan State University
http://llc.msu.edu

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.