MACSCRPT Archives

October 2008

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Paul Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2008 10:08:27 -0400
Two issues? There are 729 underscores. That's an odd number. I think
there was a transcription error. Hard to pick out though.

Mark is on it. The reversal happens between line 1872 and 1873. It's a
line ending in an underscore abutting a line beginning in an underscore.

"Then you did it," Adams said. _You got it_, he thought to himself,
_what you emerged into the light of day for. Your journey is over. You
lucky guy_, he thought. _If only it were that simple for me. If what I
needed, lacked, required so that I might live, could be held in the
hand, inspected, its ink markings read. Picked up and manually
gripped; some object, material and hard-and my fears equally concrete.
Limited, as has been your case, to the fear of not finding one
specific clearly defined wartime construct, and that construct now
found and possessed, as much as we can in this life ever possess
anything, really retain and keep it. And look what I have lost_, he
thought. _My demesne, my job; I am going to give up the surface of
Earth. In order not to follow Verne Lindblom. Because_, he said to
himself, _I know it was David Lantano who did it. I knew that the
moment Lantano admitted that he had the weapon assembly in his
possession. The components that make up the killing agent known to us
all: the high velocity--or as in Verne's case, low velocity--cyanide-
tipped homeostatic dart. And not rusty but in working order . . . as
was the one which reached Verne Lindblom's heart._
	_Mint condition, as Lantano had said. Derived directly from the war-
years, from thirteen years ago, by means of Lantano's time-travel
equipment. And to be set up in my office to kill B rose exactly as
Verne was killed; admittedly it will be instantaneous and painless,
but it is still murder, as was mine of the four Footemen commandos.
But--this is how we stand. And I'm leaving. Descending. lf I can._