LLTI Archives

September 2008, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:16:34 -0400
(1) from [log in to unmask]

Hi Sangeetha,

We've been doing some testing of Skype video recording solutions
ourselves, and I'm happy to share what we've found:

On the Mac, the only solution we were happy with for recording both
audio and video is ecamm's Call Recorder. It's affordable at $30 for 3
licenses, and the customization, user interface, and recording quality
are all excellent.

On the PC side, things are a little dicier. We looked at three
solutions: Pamela, SkypeCap, and SuperTintin. Pamela had the nicest
interface, but we had some trouble getting it to run reliably and it
didn't seem like it would record both sides of the session. SkypeCap has
an abysmal user interface, and while it does work acceptably we decided
that we couldn't inflict that application on our less technically-savvy
faculty. In the end we decided to go with SuperTintin on the PCs, even
though it's a one-man shop (our worry--though so far unfounded--is that
development might slow or cease altogether), the user interface is a
little simplistic, and customization seems to be impossible. Still, it
has the essential functions and performs adequately. I still wish there
were a PC solution that was as slick as ecamm's Mac solution, though.

I hope this helps. If you or anyone else on-list have any further
questions, feel free to contact me.

-Chris Meyer
Programmer/Analyst
Yale Center for Language Study

(2) from [log in to unmask]

We have used ecamm software "Call Recorder" with great success.
However, it is only for the Mac OS X.

http://www.ecamm.com/

Will.

(3) from [log in to unmask]

We've used PAMELA with some success.  It has little quirks here and
there (including not being 100% reliable, so you need to do a spot test
beforehand) but on the whole it's the best Skype recorder we've come
across so far that records video as well as sound.  Would be interested
in know if people have other Skype video recorders they prefer.

Rick Kern (Berkeley Language Center)

(4) from [log in to unmask]

At LARC/SDSU we are having great success using Ecamm Call Recorder on iMacs to
record all Skype conversations.  The quality is excellent.  The file is saved as
a QuickTime Movie and includes audio and video.  As soon as the call is placed
the recording starts; the file is given the Skype name of the person being
called.

Trevor

Trevor Shanklin, Ph.D.
LARC Language Labs Director

(5) from  [log in to unmask]

Sangeetha,

There are lots of solutions for this. Try:
www.voip-sol.com/15-apps-for-recording-skype-conversations/

You might also consider ivisit which has the recording built in if
both parties agree to it.

Lauren
Lauren Rosen
Collaborative Language Program
University of Wisconsin
618 Van Hise Hall
1220 Linden Drive
Madison, WI  53706

608-262-4066 (voice)
608-265-3892 (fax)
http://www.uwosh.edu/cols/clp/

(6) from [log in to unmask]

Check out Callgraph. It should do what you want.
http://callgraph.in

(7) from [log in to unmask]

I'd suggest using WireTap to capture Audio from Skype and trying out ustream.tv
for recording and archiving a videoconference/broadcast.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/

http://www.ustream.tv/

Best regards,  Jorg

  --------------------------
  Dr. Jorg Waltje, Director
  Language Resource Center
  University of Michigan
  2018 MLB
  Ann Arbor, MI 48109

  Ph: 734-764-0424

(7) from [log in to unmask]

I know both PowerGramo (http://powergramo.com/) and Pamela
(http://www.pamela-systems.com/) do a god job of recording both
incoming and outgoing audio in Skype. They are both free but the free
version of Pamela limits you to 15 minutes.

- Michael

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.