LLTI Archives

September 2008, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:16:41 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Johnathon Beals <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date:         Sun, 14 Sep 2008 10:41:33 -0400
>From: Johnathon Beals <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8929 New strategies for storing and serving digital audio files
>To: [log in to unmask]

Daryl,

I would get in touch with your IT department and find out what kind of
authentication system they are using (LDAP, Kerberos, etc), if any, in the
backend and work from there. If your campus has a centralized authentication
server you could plug into it directly, that way students don't have to
remember a different password.

If you want to filter access by course, etc, it might take a little more
effort but is still feasible. Your Sakai admin may be able to do a daily
export of some files that could be used to narrow access.

This is essentially how our media server works. We use Blackboard on campus,
so our Blackboard admin runs a script nightly that pulls out only the
students from language courses, then gets the associated class/instructor
info, and builds a few csv files. These files are used by the media server
to build the user list and the rights to files based on classes. When a
student logs in the server does two things; checks to make sure the user is
in the system, and then hits our LDAP server to authenticate the password.

It sounds a bit complex, and it kind of is, but if time isn't an issue here
you might want to enlist the help of a couple IT personnel.

--John Beals
Grand Valley State University