LLTI Archives

September 2008, Week 2

From:
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2008 09:21:29 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Daryl Beres" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:09:00 -0400
>From: "Daryl Beres" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: New strategies for storing and serving digital audio files

My campus has had online audio files stored on our Language Resource
Center website for many years, which students would access via a
special password.  However, we want to get away from having many
different passwords for students to remember, so we'd like to make a
change to this system.

One idea that came up right away was to use our course management
system (we use Sakai).  That raises questions such as  whether  we
should copy those audio files into each course that's using them, or
if we should put a page of links into each course, but store the
actual files in another web space.  If so, then we'd want to ensure
that the files could be accessed freely via Sakai, but would be
protected from direct access outside of Sakai.

Any suggestions about good systems or solutions you've developed on
your campus?

Thanks in advance for the input,

--Daryl

Daryl L. Beres
Director of the Language Resource Center
Mount Holyoke College
413-538-2408

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.