LLTI Archives

July 2008, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2008 09:23:30 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 09:18:10 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #8893 MAC Help

Nisus Writer Pro <http://www.nisus.com/> is one of the Macintosh word
processors that I use regularly, and it will open Mac WordPerfect
files.  MacLink Plus will translate MacWrite II and MacWrite Pro files,
as well Mac WordPerfect 2 and 3 files.  MacLink Plus translates to and
from many Windows and Mac file formats.
<http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/mlp_xlators.html>

WordPerfect 3.5e will run on a recent G5 Mac (under Tiger 10.4.11
w/Classic), and allow cut and paste or "save as" export of the
documents.  If I recall correctly, WordPerfect will open MacWrite
files.  Corel released this final version of WordPerfect for Mac as
freeware, so many copies are around and can be legally given to
colleagues, I believe.

If you only need the text, and are not trying to save formatting, then
FileJuicer can be a useful tool.  Filejuicer can extract text, sound
and images from many file formats (including PowerPoint), and can often
save most of the text from corrupted files.
<http://echoone.com/filejuicer/>

Mac compatible external USB floppy drives can be purchased from many
sources for around $30, including Amazon.com and Jr.com.  This might
get around the need for finding a working '80's vintage Mac.
MegaMacs.com sells Macs of varying vintages, as does eBay.  But again,
I think there is more value and reliability in using a recent G5 with
Classic for the conversions than in buying archaic hardware.

I wouldn't want to transport this computer, but I've still got a
working Mac 8500 with a floppy drive, which I could potentially put it
in service of this project.  I'm not sure I could bring myself to deal
with Word 2007, but I could at least produce RTF documents :-)

Derek

--On Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:35 AM -0400 LLTI-Editor
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> A colleague on my campus is looking to buy or borrow a working
> late-1980s era Mac that will open about 50 single-sided diskettes,
> created between (roughly) 1985-1996 on his old Mac SE. All of these
> contain documents written in either MacWrite or Word Perfect.
>
> He's also looking for some advice or instruction on how I might
> convert all of those documents to Word 07.

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico