LLTI Archives

July 2008, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2008 12:11:16 -0400
from [log in to unmask]

Hi Cindy,

You can't use VLC in newer Macs. See Chris Breen's article on this in Mac
World's Mac 911:
http://www.macworld.com/article/133147/2008/04/wrestledvdregion.html

Best,
Barbara

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 2:26 PM, LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Greetings, all!
>
> In our facility at Boston College we've recently upgraded to iMacs
> running Leopard (10.5.3).  We've downloaded the VLC media player
> (version 0.8.6h) to these machines, but are experiencing various
> problems and inconsistencies in the playback of DVDs (NTSC Region 1
> and PAL Region 2) using this version of VLC.  The most frequent
> occurrence is a quick flashing of a black screen upon start-up of the
> DVD in VLC, then no playback functionality at all.  Curiously enough,
> on these same Leopard machines we have installed Bootcamp with
> Windows.  On the Windows side the VLC media player starts up
> immediately and plays back both region 1 and region 2 DVDs without a
> problem.
>
> Has anyone else on this listserv experienced these same problems/
> inconsistencies using VLC with Leopard?  My tech consultant and I
> would greatly appreciate any feedback and/or suggested work-arounds
> or fixes to these VLC/Leopard issues within the native Mac environment.
>
> Thanks so much for your valued input.
>
> Cindy Bravo
> ___________________________
> Cynthia N. Bravo, Director
> Boston College Language Laboratory
> Lyons Hall, Room 313
> 140 Commonwealth Avenue
> Chestnut Hill, MA  02467
> Tel. (617) 552-8473
> Fax (617) 552-2064
> Email:  [log in to unmask]  or [log in to unmask]

>  LLTI is a service of IALLT, the International Association for
> Language Learning Technology (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for
> Language Teaching and Learning (http://www.languageconsortium.org/).
> Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.
> Otmar Foelsche, LLTI-Editor ([log in to unmask])

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Barbara Lindsey, Director
Multimedia Language Center
Modern & Classical Languages, Unit 1057