LLTI Archives

July 2008, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2008 14:26:46 -0400
Greetings, all!

In our facility at Boston College we've recently upgraded to iMacs
running Leopard (10.5.3).  We've downloaded the VLC media player
(version 0.8.6h) to these machines, but are experiencing various
problems and inconsistencies in the playback of DVDs (NTSC Region 1
and PAL Region 2) using this version of VLC.  The most frequent
occurrence is a quick flashing of a black screen upon start-up of the
DVD in VLC, then no playback functionality at all.  Curiously enough,
on these same Leopard machines we have installed Bootcamp with
Windows.  On the Windows side the VLC media player starts up
immediately and plays back both region 1 and region 2 DVDs without a
problem.

Has anyone else on this listserv experienced these same problems/
inconsistencies using VLC with Leopard?  My tech consultant and I
would greatly appreciate any feedback and/or suggested work-arounds
or fixes to these VLC/Leopard issues within the native Mac environment.

Thanks so much for your valued input.

Cindy Bravo
___________________________
Cynthia N. Bravo, Director
Boston College Language Laboratory
Lyons Hall, Room 313
140 Commonwealth Avenue
Chestnut Hill, MA  02467
Tel. (617) 552-8473
Fax (617) 552-2064
Email:  [log in to unmask]  or [log in to unmask]

Language Learning Technology (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for
Language Teaching and Learning (http://www.languageconsortium.org/).
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.