LLTI Archives

July 2008, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2008 14:25:01 -0400
Hi everyone ... hope you're having happy productive summers.

I've been unable to stream video files using the h.264 codec from our
Quicktime Streaming Server at Swarthmore.  Never had a chance to iron
out what might be going wrong, so have been using mpeg4 for video
instead.  It works, but would really like to take advantage of
smaller file sizes and better quality that h.264 offers.

Here's the process I'm using:

- digitize and encode content using Handbrake

- take the file that was produced to Quicktime Pro and export it as a
hinted movie

- move that file to the tiger streaming server ... I've tried a test
server running leopard and it doesn't work either.

- the video fails to play when I try to watch the movie as a stream,
the audio streams fine.

At every stage the file plays fine if played locally in quicktime.
The full movie produced a file that was about 1.4 gig ... when hinted
the file size went to 1.5 gig.  That's significantly smaller than
I've come to expect using the mpeg 4 codec ... hinting typically
doubled the file size.  Suspect I'm doing something wrong when
hinting.  If I look at the properties for the movies, the duration on
the hinted track is 23 frames instead of the full 2 hour length of
the file. Why?  Ideas?

Gladly take any suggestions.

Thanks,

- Mike