LLTI Archives

June 2008, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:58:14 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Stella Derum <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date:         Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:42:34 -0400
>From: Stella Derum <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: SANS Inc. Awards 2008 SANSSpace Technology Grant to North Hills Senior
High School
>To: [log in to unmask]

SANS Inc.
10 White Wood Lane
North Branford, CT 06471

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SANS Inc. Awards 2008 SANSSpace Technology Grant
 To North Hills Senior High School

June 2008 - SANS Inc., Software and Network Solutions, the exclusive licensor
of Sony language learning software solutions and developer of the SANSSpace
Virtual Learning Environment has awarded North Hills Senior High School in
Pittsburgh, PA the SANS 2008 SANSSpaceTM Technology Grant.

The grant award consists of SANSSpace Virtual Learning Environment software
licenses and SANS headsets to accommodate the needs of students and
teachers in the language program.   The SANSSpace VLE is an innovative, web
based application, designed to manage and share multimedia course material,
track student activity, and provide synchronous and asynchronous
communication. The SANSSpace VLE extends the language learning
environment beyond the physical classroom.  With design specific for language
learning applications it features a built-in, digital comparative recorder.
Students can listen, record, compare, and save their work anytime, anywhere
that they have access to an internet connection.

"After carefully reviewing all of the grant applications, North Hills Senior
High
School most clearly defined how they would utilize the SANSSpace technology
to help build core language skills at all levels---from the novice to the
student
enrolled in an AP(R) college level language class," Ron Remschel, SANS
president, said. "With a focus on be being able increase students' language
learning time beyond the standard 40-minute class period and giving students
a framework for more interactive and engaged learning, North Hills has a vision
for success."

North Hills Senior High School is a public school with more than 1,200
students.  Over half of its student population is enrolled in the World Language
Program, which includes Spanish, French, German, Latin, and American Sign
Language.  With limited to access to native speakers of languages other than
English the SANSSpace Virtual Learning Environment will bring that world to
students and engage them in an interactive process that is difficult to simulate
in a traditional classroom.  North Hills is adept in using technology to share
information with students and parents so the SANSSpace VLE will take them a
step further with the possibility of 24/7 language learning.

"Our school district is thrilled to have this unprecedented opportunity to
assist
our students in authentic language development.  The SANSSpace VLE is going
to provide independent, individualized learning experiences that will truly
enhance student learning," Barbara Foster, North Hills world language teacher
and curriculum leader, said.  "We are especially excited about the virtual
comparative recorder that will allow the student to listen to an audio passage,
speak and record their voice simultaneously.  We believe that our students'
listening and speaking skills will be greatly enhanced."

About SANS Inc.: SANS Inc, Software and Network Solutions, is the developer
and exclusive worldwide licensor of Sony Language Learning Software. These
titles include the widely used, technology solutions of the Sony VirtuosoTM and
Soloist(R) digital language lab software suite. This technology is the
instructional choice of numerous, discerning language programs in the U.S. and
around the world. SANS is committed to providing software solutions that, first
and foremost, address teaching and learning modalities and work within the IT
framework of the school or government agency that is using the technology.
With design and development in the United States, the product development
team responds quickly to the customers' needs and requests. In addition, the
sales and marketing team strives to provide a level of customer support that is
unparalleled in the industry.
###

 Virtuoso and Soloist are trademarks of Sony Electronics Inc.  SANSSpace is a
trademark of SANS Inc.   SANS products incorporate SANS and Sony
technology.  AP is a trademark of the College Board.

Language Learning Technology (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for
Language Teaching and Learning (http://www.languageconsortium.org/).
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.