LLTI Archives

June 2008, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:10:59 -0400
from [log in to unmask]

Hi Dan,

This explanation sounds highly suspect to me. Why would Apple design
QTSS to simply "unravel" as a means of "protecting copyright"? This
doesn't make any sense to me. Sounds more like a major bug.

BTW: my group here at Amherst College is working on a media server
application (upload, transcode, create playlists and assign them to
players, etc.) for audio,  video, and images. We tried to use Podcast
Producer with Xgrid for transcoding video, but ran into some bugs that
our local Apple Engineer couldn't figure out (will revisit this in a
few months when the technology has matured). We have gone with ffmpeg
transcoding to MP4 with H.264 compression, but are using the JW FLV
Media Player for viewing clips. What is really cool is that the JW
Media Player is a Flash player, but can play MP4 movies; i.e. you
don't need the QT plugin.

Cheers,

Scott Payne
Director, Academic Technology Services