LLTI Archives

June 2008, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:58:19 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Daniel Meyers <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Daniel Meyers <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #8868 sound synching with H.264
>Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 13:52:30 -0400

Hi Dick et al:

We've had the same problem with our videos, and our Apple Engineer at
Miami indicated to us that is it a purposeful time-sync lapse built in
to the streaming server to prevent piracy and copying the videos from
third party software. Apparently it is a known issue at Apple, but the
company will not address it. Their view is that any video over 25
minutes long is deemed a potential "copyright violation" piece of
material. The time-lapse sync problem is not an issue with QuickTime,
but rather with the streaming server itself. Unfortunately, I haven't
found a way to "hack" though the software to break whatever is causing
the time-sync lapse... and Apple won't help.

Daniel E. Meyers
Interactive Language Resource Center
Austrian Summer Scholars Program
Irvin Hall 47