LLTI Archives

June 2008, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:24:36 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Steve & Laura Spinella" <[log in to unmask]>
---

>From: "Steve & Laura Spinella" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'LLTI-Editor'" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #8859 Legality of non-Region-1 DVDs
>Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:18:58 +0800

A couple comments:
1) region 3 does not include china, it does include Taiwan, Thailand, and
other parts of asia.
2) I don't think there is anything in copyright law regarding the
international transport of legal copies, is there? As an international, that
would be, to say the least, inconvenient :-)
3) It's pretty obvious that the regions were enacted by an industry to
maximize it's ability to profit internationally by discriminatory pricing
and release in various geographic regions. (In the previous sentence, I'm
attempting to use discriminatory in a non-perjorative sense ;-) That's why
China gets its own region separate from Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore,
right? Of course, I'm sure industry reps would add that they hoped this
would help limit piracy.

PS Fortunately for me I can buy both DVDs with Chinese and English
soundtracks and subtitles and players for region 3 right here in Taiwan
:-)--of course, only when the industry is kind enough to publish such,
typically only for the largest selling children's mass market titles.

Dr. Steve Spinella, Center for Counseling & Growth
Da Yi Street, Lane 29, #26, 2F-1, Taichung 40454, TAIWAN
011.886.4.2236.1901, fx 4.2236.2109, cell 9.2894.0514
<www.team.org.tw/ccg>, <[log in to unmask]>