MACSCRPT Archives

June 2008

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Emmett Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 00:33:07 -0400
In Terminal if I type option-g (the copyright symbol) it shows up as \302\251, and the black dot (option-8) is \342\200\242. What is this? I spent some time trying to figure out what kind of encoding this is and how to deal with it in shell scripting. Specifically, I'm scripting rsync in Applescript. If one of these characters is present in a directory name, it shows up as these codes (with the addition of a pound sign, such as \#302\#251) in the verbose output of rsync, which I'm reading, and a comparison fails because the source name is not so encoded. So what I'd like to do is translate the source to match, and I don't have a clue. TIA for any help.