LLTI Archives

May 2008, Week 5

From:
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2008 13:19:32 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Johnathon Beals <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date:         Fri, 30 May 2008 00:36:35 -0400
>From: Johnathon Beals <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8854.5 (!) Rosetta Stone / Pimsleur
>To: [log in to unmask]

Tina,

I don't know if Rosetta has told you the different options available to you
for networked versions (to be honest I don't think their techs are all on
the same page with a lot of stuff), but if you have to go the networked
route it is possible to buy one or two "floating" licenses that allow that
number of students to use the software concurrently. In other words, you
install the client on all the machines, but the amount of simultaneous users
is limited to the number of licenses you bought. This is how our small 5
license version of the Polish Rosetta Stone is set up. You just need a
Windows machine on the network to run the license server and management
software, then install the client on any of your lab machines (windows or mac).

Listening to their explanations of how this works was kind of confusing
until we actually got the software in-hand, but it may be what you're
looking for if you don't have more than two or three students who would be
using it at a time.

--John Beals

Language Learning Technology (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for
Language Teaching and Learning (http://www.languageconsortium.org/).