LLTI Archives

May 2008, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2008 14:20:42 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Dennie Hoopingarner <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Dennie Hoopingarner <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Cloud computing applications?
>Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 18:53:39 -0400

My university recently issued a cautionary statement to faculty and
staff concerning so-called "cloud computing" applications such as
Google Apps. The concern on the part of the university stems from a
clause in the terms of service that gives Google permission to use the
content that users put into the applications. For example, if someone
has a great idea for a marketable product, and types her notes in
Google Docs, then Google would have permission to use the idea in any
way the company wanted.

Since the content resides on Google's servers, it's a possibility that
the content will eventually be indexed and be available to searching.
In that light, it's a no-brainer that these applications should not be
used for university business (imagine a termination letter or a
contract showing up in a Google search!). But what about educational
use?

The collaborative functions of the word processor open many
possibilities for teaching. But should we have our students use these
tools when it possible that they are giving away some of their rights
by doing so?

I've been charged to find out what other institutions are doing about
these new tools. Does your institution have a policy? Has anyone been
able to negotiate separate terms of use to protect students from the
sweeping rights to students' content that the companies assert?

In case you'd like to see what Michigan State is doing, here are a few
links. The first is to the cautionary, shot-across-the-bow document
that was issued last November: http://techbase.msu.edu/article.asp?id=9363
. Second is a clarified version with more background:
http://lct.msu.edu/documents/LCT-Appropriate_Uses_of_Cloud_Computing_22_Apr_08.p
df

Please share with me your institution's position of this issue, either
to me directly, or to the list. I'll summarize our findings.

Dennie Hoopingarner

Language Learning Technology (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for
Language Teaching and Learning (http://www.languageconsortium.org/).
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.