LLTI Archives

May 2008, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2008 13:52:16 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Rodriguez, Jose' C" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Rodriguez, Jose' C" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum
>Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 20:03:19 -0400
>Subject: RE: #8854 Rosetta Stone / Pimsleur
>acceptlanguage: en-US

I have not used Pimsleur and don't know much about it, beyond that fact that it
is an audio-only title.

At Emory University, we do use Rosetta Stone, but I am still undecided as to
it's effectiveness. I purchased about 8 language titles for our lab (only 1 copy
of each language title, and each one is checked out by students and used at any
of 20 computers, PC or Mac). My impression is that students want it because
they've heard of it or seen it in advertisements, but once they start using it
they lose patience quickly. Unlike Pimsleur which I suspect one can quickly pick
up some basic conversational skills through memorization of repetitive phrases,
Rosetta Stone will not provide any conversational learning until well into the
program (and that can take a LONG time). The exercises ramp up very gradually,
and there are many per unit. One is definitely surprised with how quickly one
beings to retain vocabulary and how much it does "stick", however (I have used
Rosetta Stone myself for Swahili and for Arabic and still remember much of the
vocabulary). And through much repetition, good pronunciation seems possible as
well. That said, the vocabulary is initially presented in a completely
disconnected and random way (dynamic immersive method), out of any obvious
context: "jump" "car" "cat" "horse" "they jump" "she runs" "the boy is next to
the car", etc and continues to build the grammar in that way. But it doesn't all
get connected until after a lot of time spent with the software. And in my
experience I have not had a single student stay with the software long enough to
get to that point.

That said, the software is highly visual, very leisurely and stress-free. It
really is fun to use. But it is maybe too many hours (read: weeks) of fun for a
generation that expects results much more quickly than that. That is not a
criticism, but an observation.

One other brief comment on our particular use - we do not use Rosetta Stone in
the official Emory language curriculum at all. I purchased it for those students
interested in self-study who were not planning on enrolling in that language, or
who were interested in a language not currently offered at Emory.

I hope these observations are helpful,
Jose

Jose C. Rodriguez
Director of Technology: Emory College Language Center
office: 404.727.9351
cell: 404.414.3674
fax: 404.727.2257
http://languagecenter.emory.edu/