LLTI Archives

May 2008, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2008 14:24:37 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Tina Deveny Oestreich" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Tina Deveny Oestreich" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"
>Subject: Online language lab solutions
>Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 11:44:39 -0400

Hello all,

I think I might have posted this request once already, but I've been on
leave and I'm not sure if I got any responses...forgive me if this sounds
familiar!

We are currently using an online language lab solution that my predecessor
programmed using Perl. I digitize textbook audio CDs and put them on it for
students to listen to. The instructors can pull student stats and find out
how long the students have spent 'listening' (my feeling is that at least
some of them are text messaging and doing other things during this time, but
it is what the faculty want...). It also allows instructors to post
assignments and for students to record their voices reading poems, etc.
That's about it. I am looking for a commercial solution to possibly replace
this because there are always a small number of students who cannot assess
it and no one here knows Perl!

Are you using a package that will do these things ... and perhaps more? In
particular, I'd like to have a solution that will allow students to have a
space for their class that will link to various functions. Of course,
Blackboard is one possible solution, but it doesn't provide the same kind of
tracking (it tracks hits). I have looked at Wimba voice tools which look
great, but I know it is very expensive.

I would be interested in reading what you're doing in terms of offering
students the opportunity to accomplish these tasks outside of your lab.

Thank you!
Tina Oestreich

Language Learning Technology (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for
Language Teaching and Learning (http://www.languageconsortium.org/).