LLTI Archives

April 2008, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 13:20:13 -0400
---(1) from  Doug Worsham <[log in to unmask]> --

Transom's reviews are a great resource for learning more about
digital recorders:

http://www.transom.org/tools/

There are reviews of both the PMD660 and the PCM-D50.

Doug
~~~
Doug Worsham
L&S Learning Support Services
University of Wisconsin - Madison
http://lss.wisc.edu/~doug/
http://unionblend.uniblogs.org/

---(2) FROM [log in to unmask]

 Hi

The reviews on both recorders might help

http://www.bradlinder.net/2007/10/comparing-sony-pcm-d50-fostex-fr2-le_06.ht
ml

Regards

Kate
www.theswitchboard.eu

---(3) from [log in to unmask]

They look pretty comparable to me. The main difference is the Sony
has built-in mics, which I do not recommend--you really want to have
the mic(s) closer to the consultant. I can't tell what kind of
external mic input the Sony takes. The Marantz takes XLR, which is
good. The University of Chicago's Language Archives (which I am no
longer affiliated with) has used a sibling of the Marantz. I have met
linguists who like the Sony.

Barbara

Barbara Need

---(4) from [log in to unmask]

Many of the small digital field recorders have rather poor front ends
due to cheap capacitors.  As a result they are rather poor for proper
linguistics research activities.  While expensive the Fostex FR-2 is the
bench mark and has a very good front end.  A very good set up for
linguistic recordings would be a Fostex FR-2 and a matched set of Oktava
Mk 012 microphones.

I would not recommend the Marantz given the nature of the front end
circuitry.  I do not have any knowledge of the Sony.  We have used the
Fostex and Oktava combination with satisfactory repeatable results.

Lee Ramsdell, Technical Supervisor
Arts Resource Centre
Room 130 - A1, Arts Building

Phone    780-492-2142
Cell        780-863-4316

---(5) from [log in to unmask]

I have a couple of the Marantz recorders in the lab for lending out.
They have met with a lot of enthusiasm from faculty and grad students,
and even undergrads. They are easy to use and seem to produce good
recordings (without any added microphone).

Judy Shoaf

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.