LLTI Archives

April 2008, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:06:07 -0400
--(1) from   [log in to unmask]

Here's a wiki that compares wikis and may be useful in your search
process.

http://www.wikimatrix.org/

Cheers,

Cindy Marston
Academic Technology Coordinator
The Principia School
13201 Clayton Road
St. Louis, MO 63131
314-514-3137

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

---(2)--  from  [log in to unmask]

There is an article at Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_software

and you might also want to look at the discussion in this forum from June of
2007. The thread number is 8578.

Scott Windham, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of German
Director of Language Learning Technologies
Elon University
336.278.5841
http://facstaff.elon.edu/swindham

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

----(3)--  from  [log in to unmask]

I have recently set up an educational Wiki using WetPaint.com. It is free.
It was incredibly easy to start and allows me good control of the content.

If you can show it is a Wiki for education, then you can ask and I got, the
Google ads, removed.

Occasionally I have a couple of blips with the editing formating but nothing
that impacts sufficiently to negate the positives.

Joel Josephson
Kindersite Project and European Union education projects

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

---(4)--  from [log in to unmask]

We have been using MediaWiki widely throughout UW System. It is a free
download. We are currently experimenting with editors to add to it so
it is more of a WYSIWYG interface for our students and faculty. We
have had success, with some adjustments, using it for Arabic as well
as Japanese and Chinese. That was one of the main concerns for us.

If you are not looking to download one to run off your own servers, I
personally like PBWiki which has a free version for educators.

You can find a comparison at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_software

Lauren Rosen
Collaborative Language Program