LLTI Archives

April 2008, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:05:42 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:37:48 -0400
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #8815 Loaning out DVDs

These are the Cd-Roms, right?

We have a few, mostly just one per language. The only person that gets
to borrow one is the teacher (to whom I also lend the installation
disk). We have so few that I would not want to lend a copy to someone
for home use, since another student might turn up who wants to use it. I
feel this is something that is most useful when kept in the lab. I have
not yet, however, had a faculty member come pleading with me to borrow
it for a month because he or she desperately needs to brush up on Korean
or Chinese.

I think the key is that the user has to have the language CD-ROM (not
just the installation disk) to use the program. The installer is pretty
much the same for all the programs. We put the installation on all our
walk-in computers but it is useless without the specific language CD-Rom.

Judy

LLTI-Editor wrote:

> We've just purchased a variety of Rosetta Stone single copy DVDs for our
> Language Learning Resource Center.  While we'd like to be able to loan
> the material out to students and staff for home use, the program
> requires an installation to be done on the computer before the language
> software can be used.  So far I've been holding back on loaning the
> packages out because it seems to me that this would be an infringement
> of copyright, and consequently have required people using the program to
> only use it on our lab computers.  I'd be interested to know if other
> schools are loaning this type of software to their campus community
> members, and if so, how they justify it in light of copyright laws.
>
> Thanks for your responses!
>

> Regards,
> Susan Breeyear, Asst. Director
> Instructional Technology Services