LLTI Archives

April 2008, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:05:51 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Patricia Early" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:35:29 -0400
>From: "Patricia Early" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>Subject: Re: #8809.2 (!) Robotel vs. Sanako

Hi,

I also have no experience with Robotel, but we have a Sanako 300 lab at Georgia
State University that we're very pleased with.  although we occasionally have
feedback issues, I have found that more often than not it's the result of two
headsets too close together, or the speakers at the teacher console being on at
the same time that the headsets are being used.  In otherwords, these problems
are not inherent in the software at all, but in the hardware sensitivity and the
relative proximity.  We use pairing, group conversations, and transfer of audio
every week without any problem.

That being said, the few times we have had problems, the Sanako team has been
very responsive to our support requests.  In most cases we have been able to
resolve any issues through phone support, and the only time we had a service
call was three or four years ago when we had a headphone input/output accessory
(affectionately known as a "turtle") fail.

We make this lab work hard, too, with 35 student workstations, more than 70
classes in the lab each semester, and more than 49,000 student hours logged in
the LARC each semester.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me!

Trish Early

Patricia N. Early
Language Lab Coordinator
Department of Modern and Classical Languages
Georgia State University
404-413-5987

-Information is neither good nor bad.  It is either welcomed or unwelcomed
depending upon whether it is timely or untimely.

>>> LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> 4/9/2008 12:51 PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from "thomas plagwitz" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "thomas plagwitz" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"
>Subject: RE: #8809.1 (!) Robotel vs. Sanako
>Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 19:13:03 +0100
>thread-index: AciZnV50//4y3uaqR5OfT/Ggj24SQQABnI9Q

Hi,

No experience with robotel, I am afraid, but I think we had this echo issue
with Sanako Lab 300 also. It was caused by feedback from the headphone
speakers sending audio into the microphones if "sidetone" option (= required
for a natural speaking experience when wearing headphones) is on, but no
head (also required for language learning ;-) in between both to insulate..

With Sanako Study 1200, such audio feedback issues seem to be less common, I
believe that is a side effect of the audio lag of 0.25sec. However, I always
tell instructors to not send audio to empty seats - Sanako can put those
seats into "library" or independent access mode -  and my students, for not
only this reason, to properly wear the headphones or only uncover one ear,
vs carrying the headphone around the neck, when feedback from sidetone can
also become an issue.

Or they can turn sidetone off in the student player. I think one can also
configure the student player to "sidetone off" by default, but, as said
above, that is not desirable for the language learning experience.

Let me know if I can provide additional info,
thomas
P.S. sending from hotmail to bypass the spam filter.
--
Dr. Thomas Plagwitz
e-Learning Centre Manager

This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the
intended recipient at the E-mail address to which it has been addressed. The
E-mail may not be disclosed or used by any other than the addressee, nor may
it be copied in any way. If you are not the intended recipient please
contact the sender as soon as possible and delete any copies of this
message. Please note that although this E-mail has been checked, we cannot
accept any responsibility for any transmitted viruses. It is therefore your
responsibility to virus scan any attachments (if any).