MACSCRPT Archives

April 2008

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Stockly, Ed" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:34:33 -0700
>>> deleteFile
>>> renameFile
>>> moveFile
>>> copyFile
>>
>> Most valuable in OS7-9, but I still prefer them to the finder and
>> system events.
>

> Why is that?
>
> I don't know if my answer is the same as Ed's, but because (a) the Finder's
> delete doesn't delete, (b) the Finder is unreliable, and (c) System Events
> is too fussy about what it does and doesn't accept, depending on the OS
> version.

DeleteFile, yes, it deletes it, no moving to the trash and it seems more
reliable

Renamefile -- come to think of it, I use the Finder to change file names.

MoveFile and CopyFile both run faster than the finder or system events (at
least the last time I tested). The speed difference was much greater on
OS7-8-9.

Finally, just in terms of syntax and scriptability, I use those commands
enough that I prefer not having to associate them with an app.

If I'm in a Quark or Indesign tell block I prefer not calling another
application just to issue one or two commands.

Yes, I actually prefer using OSAX calls to FBAs or the Finder.

ES