LLTI Archives

March 2008, Week 5

From:
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:14:36 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Ed Garay <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:40:26 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Ed Garay <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8805 tablet PC audio problem
>Cc: UIC Instructional Technology Lab <[log in to unmask]>

We use a lot of Tablet PCs at UIC, including Lenovo (formerly IBM) Tablets
and we have not seen this problem.  Most likely it is an isolated problem
with your particular unit, which may or may not be fixable by Lenovo.

I recall having all kinds of microphone problems with the original 3Lb
Tablet PCs from Acer, but that was years ago.  Note that all/most notebook
computer manufacturers don't spend much money or time on the built-in
microphones they put on their computers.

In any event, when sound quality is very important, we use headsets with
mics, regardless of the computer in use.  We are very happy with ($30-$50)
headsets from Logitech and Plantronics.  I recently bought some quality
omni-directional mics from Audio-Technica ($40) to lend out to our faculty
for group discussion microphone applications.

--- Ed Garay, University of Illinois at Chicago

--
-- Ed Garay
    Assistant Director for Academic Computing

    University of Illinois at Chicago
    Academic Computing and Communications Center
    www.accc.uic.edu/itl

    ITL-East LIB1-310 Walk-in Open Hours: 1-5pm Tue and Wed, East campus
    ITL-West BGRC181  Walk-in Open Hours: 1-5pm Mon and Thu, West campus
    --- for other days/times: by ITL appointment
    ITL email: [log in to unmask]