LLTI Archives

March 2008, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:34:48 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Anton, Christine" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE: #8792.4 (!) German Spell Check
>Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:17:28 -0400
>From: "Anton, Christine" <[log in to unmask]>
>To:  "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
<[log in to unmask]>,        <[log in to unmask]>

Dear colleagues,

may I chime in here as well. I recently obtained, through my college, a copy of
MS Office 2003 for my home/personal use. After installing it, I noticed the
missing German spell checker (though I have it on my computer in my office on
campus). First, I thought I had been given a faulty CD, but I soon learned from
the IT people on campus that, indeed, Microsoft does not include a German spell
check on their software. I was told to buy the proofing tools CD (it comes with
50 languages) and stop whining. Not exactly their words, but that was the
message I got. After searching all over the internet I found out that said CD is
no longer available, and, moreover, the proofing tools for MS Office 2007 are
not compatible with the Office 2003 version.

It is simply appalling what Microsoft is doing here, and if I could I would
oppose Microsoft altogether. But I also find it astonishing that the AATG has
not picked up on this, and discussed this matter with Microsoft. German is along
with Spanish/French one of the most frequently taught foreign languages.

What software do other people use when they write in German on their home
computers? I seriously thought about downloading a copy of the proofing tools as
a torrent, but don't necessarily want to be bombarded with pornographic material
as a result! Any suggestions?

Christine Anton