LLTI Archives

March 2008, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2008 13:47:53 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "Sartiaux, Audrey N." <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: NERALLT Spring 08 meeting Call for proposals
>Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 13:38:07 -0500
>From: "Sartiaux, Audrey N." <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>

NERALLT 2008 Spring Meeting

"Language Learning in Action: Moving Images in a Digital World"
May 1-2, 2008 - Wesleyan University (Middletown, CT)

CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS -- DEADLINE: MARCH 25

We cordially invite submissions to the Spring meeting of the New England
Regional Association of Language Learning Technology, hosted by Wesleyan
University on May 1-2, 2008. The Spring Program Committee includes: Co-chairs,
Emily Wentworth (Yale U) and Mark Knowles (Yale U); Host, Emmanuel Paris-Bouvret
(Wesleyan U).
This biennial meeting serves as a forum for stimulating and disseminating
pedagogical research and practical applications of technology for the teaching
and learning of foreign languages, and provides a venue for language
technologists and faculty to come together and share new ideas.

CONFERENCE THEME

"Language Learning in Action: Moving Images in a Digital World"
Film and video have been used in language education for 50 years or more. What
began as merely 'showing a movie' has progressed to a plethora of uses and means
of delivery for the moving image (and audio) for language learning and
instruction. Today's world language students are now learning from viewing,
making, and interacting with digitized moving images through films, their own
video creations, teachers' multimedia presentations, publishers' ancillary
materials, video podcasts from museums, collaborative projects involving
interdisciplinary departments and international partners, videoconferencing,
travel blogs, and much more- delivered over the Web, through commercial video
streaming services to campus networks, from video clip and film libraries,
digitized art galleries, video-sharing websites, and yes, often simply from a
DVD movie played in class.

PROPOSALS

NERALLT is going to take a broad view of this phenomenon, providing an avenue
for the demonstration of these technologies and pedagogical tools, and their
applications for the language resource provider, learner, and teacher. Topics to
be explored may include video streaming servers, GIS technology, commercial
software for movie-making and digital story-telling, cross-cultural exchange
using iChat, Skype, and other video-conferencing technologies, video subtitling,
YouTube in the classroom, as well as copyright and privacy issues, media
literacy, and challenges brought on with the move from teacher-centric to
interactive to user-centric practices.

NERALLT seeks to maintain a balance between technology and pedagogy in order to
share innovative methodologies with conference participants ranging from
language teaching professionals, administrators and support staff of language
labs, ESL labs, and other centers where technology is applied to language
teaching and learning, as well as faculty and teachers (university and K-12) who
use technology.

Send abstracts (up to 250 words) to Emily Wentworth at
[log in to unmask] 		Deadline for submissions: March 25

CONTACT INFORMATION

Questions regarding the program and call for presentations should be sent to
Emily Wentworth (Yale U) at [log in to unmask]

For information about Wesleyan University, please go to:
http://www.wesleyan.edu/

For more information regarding NERALLT, and to become a member, please go to:
http://www.nerallt.unh.edu/

If you are interested in hosting a future NERALLT meeting or would like to
participate in its organization, please contact NERALLT's program coordinator:
Audrey Sartiaux (Union College) at [log in to unmask]

Audrey Sartiaux, Ph.D.
Director,  Multimedia Language Center
807 Union Street
Union College - Schaffer Library