LLTI Archives

March 2008, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:20:51 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Felicia zhang <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date:         Sun, 2 Mar 2008 18:49:31 -0500
>From: Felicia zhang <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: New book announcement
>To: [log in to unmask]
>cc: Felicia zhang <[log in to unmask]>

Introducing the latest release from IGI Global:

Handbook of Research on Computer-Enhanced Language Acquisition and Learning
ISBN: 978-1-59904-895-6; 614 pp; February 2008
Published under the imprint Information Science Reference (formerly Idea
Group Reference)
http://www.igi-global.com/reference/details.asp?id=7441

Edited by: Felicia Zhang, University of Canberra, Australia and Beth Barber,
University of Canberra, Australia

DESCRIPTION
Language learning is one of the most rapidly changing disciplines. Along
with changing perspectives in learning in the field of Second Language
Acquisition, information communication technology (ICT) has also created
many learning paths to assist the process of learning a second language
(L2). In such an ever-evolving environment, teachers, researchers, and
professionals in a diverse number of disciplines need access to the most
current information about research on the field of computer-enhanced
language acquisition and learning.
The Handbook of Research on Computer-Enhanced Language Acquisition and
Learning provides comprehensive coverage of successful translation of
language learning designs utilizing ICT in practical learning contexts. This
authoritative reference source offers researchers, scholars, students, and
professionals worldwide, access to the latest knowledge related to research
on computer-enhanced language acquisition and learning.
"The Handbook of Research on Computer-Enhanced Language Acquisition and
Learning covers the full spectrum of research in this area at its best.
Useful in the classroom, useful in research; a one-stop source of
information on contemporary research in computer enhanced language
acquisition and learning around the globe. It is a volume I am proud to have
on my bookshelves."
- Kirk Sullivan, Umea University, Sweden
TOPICS COVERED
Academic writing
Audio-video chat programs
Aural multimedia environments
Blogging
CMC software for language acquisition
Computer keystroke logging
Computer-based tutors
Computer-enhanced grammar teaching
Corpora in language learning
Evaluation of learning designs
Grammar animations
Hypermedia environments
Implications of ICT applications
Integration of ICT
Intercultural learning
Language acquisition
Language learning
Multimedia technology
Online exchanges
Online questionnaires in grammar teaching
Online resources for language learning
Outside-class activities for practice
Prewriting conferences
Second language acquisition
Second language reading comprehension
Somatically-enhanced approach
Speech interactive CALL systems
Speech technology
Text-to-speech technology
Video comprehension

For more information about the Handbook of Research on Computer-Enhanced
Language Acquisition and Learning, you can view the title information sheet
at http://www.igi-global.com/downloads/pdf/zhang_barber.pdf.
You can also view the Table of Contents and a complete list of contributors
online at http://www.igi-global.com/reference/details.asp?id=7441.

ABOUT THE EDITORS
Felicia Zhang possesses a Bachelor of Arts degree, from the University of
Queensland (Australia), a graduate diploma in education from the University
of Melbourne, a Master of Arts degree in applied linguistics from the
University of Melbourne (Australia), a Teaching English as a Foreign
Language Certificate (TEFLA) issued by the Royal Society of Arts (United
Kingdom), and a Doctorate in Education from the University of Canberra
(Australia). She is currently a senior lecturer in applied linguistics and
Chinese at the University of Canberra (Australia). She lectures regularly in
Vietnam, China and Australia to prepare English and foreign language
teachers for the integration of computer technology in their day to day
teaching. Her research interests include the use of speech technology in
language teaching and acquisition, e-learning, and integrating computer
technology in curriculum design in education. She has published many
articles in these areas. She is the 2003 winner of Australian Awards for
University Teaching.

Beth Barber graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (honors) from the University
of Tasmania (Australia) after studying the psychology of learning and
cognitive development, completed an MA and undertook further research in
organizational communications at the University of British Columbia, and
while pursuing an interest in language acquisition completed a diploma in
French language at the University of Victoria (Canada). In 2004, she
graduated with an MA (TESOL) from the University of Canberra (Australia).
Her experience includes university teaching and research in Australia and
Canada. Since 2005, she has worked at the University of Canberra developing
and teaching ESL and academic skills programs for university undergraduate
and post graduate students, as well as short course professional English
programs for adults undertaking career development.  An interest in computer
enhanced language learning comes from experiences in the 1990$E2s while
working as a Technical Writer for software companies in British Columbia. At
that time, she also served as a director of the Canadian Information
Processing Society (Victoria, British Columbia). Her publications include
academic articles and business, professional and charitable organization
newsletters. Her current research interests relate to the acquisition and
development of English reading and writing skills, with particular emphasis
on the benefits of using computer technology to assist in the learning process.
To view the full contents of this publication, check for the Handbook of
Research on Computer-Enhanced Language Acquisition and Learning in your
institution$E2s library. If you library does not currently own this title,
please recommend it to your librarian.
Posted by Dr. Felicia Zhang,
Faculty of Communication and International Studies,
University of Canberra, Australia

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.