MACSCRPT Archives

March 2008

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Gary (Lists)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2008 22:13:07 -0500
"Chuck Pelto" wrote:

> What is the best way to implement telephone dialing, via the modem,
> using AppleScripting techniques?

Hi Chuck.

Check out the scripting addition "DialWithModem OSAX"
found here: <http://homepage.mac.com/javier_diaz_r/eng/resources.html>

That might be a little old-school in places, like sending modem commands
("ATDT "...), but there are some AddressBook examples available, so it's a
usable thing.

There is also ABDialer, which costs ten or so bucks (maybe 15...?).

Or, if you have FileMaker (I think you do, right?), it has a built-in 'dial'
command, so you could send FM the AppleScript command.  (You don't need a
dedicated DB file to do that, you just need FM open.)

Those are just a few options, but you'll need some intermediate tool like
that.  You'd think that AddressBook would have that as a command. I mean,
dialing/faxing/emailing should all be supported, you'd think.

The choice of what to use really probably depends on what you're going to be
doing after the dial.

Pick up the phone and talk?
Send a fax? (Then you don't need a dialer, of course, since that's OS.)
Start a direct serial connection? (I used to love doing that!)
Record some sound from the other end?
    (That might a fun way to get the telephone movie listings...auto dial,
record, and listen later. Each Thursday, have the script dial/record and
save to your iPod.)
Connect to a library's dial-in catalog and get text lines? (Oh, the days.)

--
Gary