MACSCRPT Archives

March 2008

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Doug Metz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:40:46 -0500
on 3/16/08 9:00 PM, boo thoughtfully composed:

> If you don't want the responsibility of fixing the subject line, then
> don't use digest mode.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me, and I know it's my responsibility (the
message that triggered this topic, however, is NOT mine).  That said, as a
digester, I know that I've forgotten to change it at least once when
harried.

> -boo
> who can't imagine why anyone would even want to use digest mode
> (apart from AOL users).

I like the idea of the digest - it's easy to go through a day's messages in
a few minutes - which is why I use it.  Implementation, however, leaves much
to be desired.  I don't need the interruption of live messages, but like to
know what's going on.  Currently, my primary work duties don't include
scripting.  But I still do some from time to time and it's comforting in
some weird way to see messages from you, Walter, and has, and Jon, and Mark,
and the rest of the old crew.  Just as I've done since I subscribed to this
list ten years ago.

And I'm NOT an AOL user (not that there's anything wrong with that... ;o))

Doug
- who will someday write that PQ decoder script for my digests.  Yep.