UV-BIRDERS Archives

February 2008, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
cynthia crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
cynthia crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:01:22 -0500
I have a little feeder attached to a window with suction cups. It's just big
enough for 1 or 2 small birds. Lately, a Redpoll has been sitting in it for
very long periods of time- an hour or more. It's all puffed up, no matter
what the temp outside.  It is eating some of the sunflower seeds, but a lot
of the time it just sits there.  It can, and does, fly away at times (when
it sees me in the window or gets chases away.) But it doesn't flit around
like a normal redpoll.  I see no crusty eyes as I understand is a sign of
the conjunctivitis going around.  I'm not sure what to do, if anything.
Perhaps it will recover?  Meanwhile, are other birds at risk that get seeds
there?  It poops in the feeder- I've been cleaning it out, but it's still a
matter of concern...

Here's a (bad) photo- taken through the window with a flash.  But you can
see how she(?) is all hunched up, and stays that way.

http://www.creaturekinships.com/redpoll.sick.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Cindy Crawford

--
Creature Kinships and Natural Affinities
Animal and Nature Paintings, Portraits and Prints