LLTI Archives

February 2008, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 13:46:33 -0500
(3)  from Tim VanSlyke <[log in to unmask]> ---

We use Wimba at our school, but if I understood you correctly, I don't think
it offers the flexibility you're seeking. For student recording you
basically have two choices with Wimba, either voice email or voice
discussion board. In neither case can the instructor stop the recording and
insert comments unless he/she downloads the file as an MP3 or WAV file then
imports it into something like Audacity.

Timothy VanSlyke, ESL Instructor in the Multimedia Language Center
Chemeketa Community College
4000 Lancaster Dr. NE, P.O. Box 14007,  Salem, OR 97309
[log in to unmask] | http://learning.chemeketa.edu/esl/
503-399-5289

(4) from  [log in to unmask]

Hi,

we have been extensively used the Voice E-mail tool that allows
students to send private (or to the entire class) voice e-mails and
the faculty to reply to them in text an with voice comments.  There is
also another tool, Voice Board, that allows student to post messages
that can be heard by the instructor and commented either in person, by
a voice/text message.

Marisa

(5)  from  [log in to unmask]

Our department uses Wimba, delivered from Blackboard. It has helped us a lot.
Good quality, simplicity (I could not teach students to use audacity, without a
lot of complaints). The quality is not quite as good at the lower level, and I m
discovering how many of my students have cheap ill-equipped PCs and phone modems
at home. Of course all of this is a reason why ALL of our lower-level students
in ALL languages are required to come to lab. Many of the University-run
card-access labs are not set up right for the frivolous things we do in FL
(which do not involve floating point calculations, chaos physics  or spread
sheets). Three of us in the department are going to discuss our use and the
organizing of activities around Wimbs at the West Tennessee Technology Symposium
in early March.

We do have a whole lot more going on, ussing TTS apps, etc. in something called
"learning objects" (Wimba is also integrated here).

Wimba: so far, great results...no analog junk around here.

TBob

Robert D. Peckham, Ph.D
Professor of French
Chair, AATF Commission on Advocacy
Director, Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
Director, Globe-Gate Intercultural Web Project
Director, Andy Holt Virtual Library
Department of Modern Foreign Languages
Univ. of Tennessee at Martin / Martin TN 38238
Email: [log in to unmask]

(6) from  [log in to unmask]

Jeanne,

The feedback on wimba, and I'm assuming you are talking about the oral
assessment builder module in the voice tools that works like a
language lab with instructor created activities, works such that the
student must save their work first. It isn't until after that when the
instructor then logs in and listens to what the student saved and
posted to the wimba server that they can then record a personalized
comment. Once the instructor assigns a grade, then the student can go
back in and listen to what the instructor stated.

It really doesn't change the way the software works as to whether you
are doing this from a lab or at home from a distance.

One thing you should know however, is that WImba recently purchased
another assessment tool that is currently in development. The oral
assessment builder, from what I have been told (and we are still using
it extensively) will eventually be replaced with a new tool. No date
at this point. They also told me while they provide support for the
current tool they are not investing in upgrades or bug fixes on it.
That said, we are relatively happy with any work arounds we have had
to make at this point.

Lauren

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.