LLTI Archives

February 2008, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:53:53 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "McCullough, Heather" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject:  #8771 Dishnetwork reception
>Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:02:51 -0500
>From: "McCullough, Heather" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

We just dealt with the DishNetwork issue.  Here are notes that I took
beginning in October 2007 from the many phone calls I made to Dish and
to a local installer that may be useful to other LRCs who subscribe to
DishNetwork:

In October 2007, DishNetwork began moving international programming from
dish #121 to #118.7 in order to accommodate high definition programs on
dishes that previously delivered international programming.  By the end
of October 2007, all of the programming to which the UNCC LRC subscribes
(French, German, and Russian) and plans to subscribe (Japanese) will be
delivered from 118.7.  The SuperDish that we purchased in January 2005
will require a "Repoint Kit" and will require physical  repositioning in
order to be able to receive signals from the 118.7 satellite.  The
"Repoint Kit" is hardware that will allow the SuperDish to be moved and
repositioned.  The physical repositioning simply means the dish will
need to be rotated to point in a different direction in order to receive
the signal from 118.7.  It took several phone calls to both the local
installer and to DishNetwork to verify that we did not need an entirely
new satellite which both were inclined to suggest we needed.

UNCC has a SuperDish that was purchased new in December 2004.  At the
time of the purchase, this was a new model of dish and allowed the LRC
to receive French and German programming.  Russian programming was added
a year later and uses the same dish as French and German.

The UNCC LRC does not need to receive a signal from dishes 119 or 110.
This fact was generally not known by first-level technical support at
DishNetwork or at the local vendor office.  Dishes 119 and 110 pick up
and deliver the English-language programming which is not used or needed
in the UNCC LRC.  Additional equipment is needed to pick up signals from
dishes 119 and 110.

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.