LLTI Archives

February 2008, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:53:54 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Ed Garay <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 14:45:09 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Ed Garay <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8764.7 (!) Wimba Classroom or Voice

We also use and like Wimba Voice, and find it extremely easy to use.

Threaded discussion voice boards (public or private) are very nice, but so
is the ability to easily create voice recordings and audio podcasts by
simply speaking into the microphone, uploading and downloading audio files,
posting voice announcements and sending out voice emails.

Wimba Voice works nicely with PCs and Macs; the tools are nicely integrated
with Blackboard and WebCT, and Wimba has been working on integrating them
with other learning management systems.
--- Ed Garay
     University of Illinois at Chicago

> [...]
>phone modems
>at home. Of course all of this is a reason why ALL of our lower-level
>students
>in ALL languages are required to come to lab. Many of the University-run
>card-access labs are not set up right for the frivolous things we do in
>FL
>(which do not involve floating point calculations, chaos physics  or
>spread
>sheets). Three of us in the department are going to discuss our use and
>the
>organizing of activities around Wimbs at the West Tennessee Technology
>Symposium
>in early March.
>
>We do have a whole lot more going on, ussing TTS apps, etc. in something
>called
>"learning objects" (Wimba is also integrated here).
>
>Wimba: so far, great results...no analog junk around here.
>
>TBob
>
>Robert D. Peckham, Ph.D
>Professor of French
>Chair, AATF Commission on Advocacy
>Director, Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
>Director, Globe-Gate Intercultural Web Project
>Director, Andy Holt Virtual Library
>Department of Modern Foreign Languages
>Univ. of Tennessee at Martin / Martin TN 38238
>Email: [log in to unmask]
>
>(6) from  [log in to unmask]
>
>Jeanne,
>
>The feedback on wimba, and I'm assuming you are talking about the oral
>assessment builder module in the voice tools that works like a
>language lab with instructor created activities, works such that the
>student must save their work first. It isn't until after that when the
>instructor then logs in and listens to what the student saved and
>posted to the wimba server that they can then record a personalized
>comment. Once the instructor assigns a grade, then the student can go
>back in and listen to what the instructor stated.
>
>It really doesn't change the way the software works as to whether you
>are doing this from a lab or at home from a distance.
>
>One thing you should know however, is that WImba recently purchased
>another assessment tool that is currently in development. The oral
>assessment builder, from what I have been told (and we are still using
>it extensively) will eventually be replaced with a new tool. No date
>at this point. They also told me while they provide support for the
>current tool they are not investing in upgrades or bug fixes on it.
>That said, we are relatively happy with any work arounds we have had
>to make at this point.
>
>Lauren

>  LLTI is a service of IALLT, the International Association for
>Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language
>Teaching
>and Learning (http://www.languageconsortium.org/).
>Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.
>Otmar Foelsche, LLTI-Editor ([log in to unmask])

-- Ed Garay
    Assistant Director for Academic Computing

    University of Illinois at Chicago
    Academic Computing and Communications Center
    www.accc.uic.edu/itl