LLTI Archives

February 2008, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:51:47 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Otmar Foelsche <[log in to unmask]> ---

>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Otmar Foelsche <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fwd: how do language teachers find the partner for language exchange?
>Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:31:43 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: dk <[log in to unmask]>
Date: February 18, 2008 8:24:28 PM EST
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: how do language teachers find the partner for language
exchange?

>> Some of the faculty members in my institute asked me where they can
find the information on language-exchange partner.

My students are interested in this as well but I haven't found a way to
find really good partners for them.

What is the ultimate goal of your students? Is it only to communicate in
English? Or is it to be able to communicate with English speakers about
transactions, to get information about prices, ordering, to inquire
about travel, schedules, etc? To think outside the box and the book on
how to meet the needs of your students I suggest that they practice
getting information from people, companies and organizations.

I stopped using those "booking a hotel room" exercises in the
coursebooks. Now I have my students call a hotel in New York or Zurich
and inquire about hotel room rates, facilities, distance from the
airport, etc. You won't believe the level of excitement and new found
confidence the students experience in such communication.

Long distance phone communication is no longer expensive. I put my phone
on "speaker phone". One student makes the call. The class huddles around
listening, very attentive. I record the call for playback and analysis.
Then another student can do it.

For writing it is even easier. Have your students send an Email to a
business or organization to get some information.

Dave Kees

GUANGZHOU, CHINA
Email   - [log in to unmask]
Chat    - Skype:DAVEKEES QQ:897869963
Blogs   - INSIGHTS-INTO-TEFL.blogspot.com, DAVEKEES.blogspot.com
Podcast - gcast.com/u/DAVEKEES/main