LLTI Archives

February 2008, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2008 14:02:13 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Otmar K. Foelsche ---

>Date: 01 Feb 2008 13:50:43 -0500
>From: Otmar K. Foelsche
>Subject: Chicago Language Symposium:  Call for Proposals
>To: LLTI-Editor

--- Forwarded Message from "Rott, Susanne (by way of Esther Horn)"

>Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 08:26:50 -0600
>From: "Rott, Susanne (by way of Esther Horn)" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Chicago Language Symposium:  Call for Proposals
>Sender: Calico discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]

CALL FOR PROPOSALS

The Sandi Port Errant Language and Culture Learning Center
at the University of Illinois-Chicago

together with

The Center for the Study of Languages
at the University of Chicago

and

The Council on Language Instruction
The Multimedia Learning Center
The Searle Center for Teaching Excellence
at Northwestern University

invite you to participate in

Language Symposium 2008
Reconciling Language Learning and Assessment
April 25-26, 2008
University of Illinois-Chicago

Join us on Friday evening for our opening keynote speaker:
Carol Chapelle
Iowa State University

On Saturday the Symposium will continue with presentations. Topics may
include:
* Assessing learners and programs, including curricula
* Classroom testing across skills and levels
* Types of assessment, including alternative assessments and self-assessment
* Assessment of language skills and cultural knowledge
* Heritage speakers - challenges and successes
* Scales, descriptors, and guidelines
* Testing instruments, including AP placement tests
* Online and multimedia resources
* Testing research and its application

Language instructors at all levels are invited to submit proposals;
all languages are welcome.
Submission deadline: Friday, February 22, 2008

Tentative Program
Friday, April 25
5:00 p.m.       Tour, Language and Culture Learning Center
Keynote, Discussion and Dinner

Saturday, April 26
8:30-9:30 a.m.  Registration and Breakfast
9:30-11:00 a.m. Session 1
11:00-11:30 a.m.        Break
11:30-1:00 p.m. Session 2
1:00-2:00 p.m.  Lunch
2:00-3:00 p.m.  Poster Session
3:00-4:30 p.m.  Wrap-Up and Closing Reception

For proposal forms, see attachments.

Presentation Proposal for the Language Symposium 2008
April 25-26, 2008
Reconciling Language Learning and Assessment
Name___________________________________________________________________
Title ________________________   Department _______________________________
Email___________________________________________________________________
Address_________________________________________________________________
Office phone ________________________Home/cell phone ____________________

Proposals should include a clear description of a project or study and its
implications. The abstract should clearly describe the following three
aspects: a) the teaching, learning or programmatic issue that is being
addressed, b) the materials or assessment techniques that were developed,
and c) the affected outcome or changes. Presentations will be limited to
twenty minutes, followed by ten minutes for discussion. Maximum length:
250 words. Submission deadline February 22, 2008

Title:
Language:
        Level: beg, int, etc.

Multimedia requirements: overhead projector, laptop, etc
Submission by email is highly encouraged.
Please send to: Susanne Rott    <mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Language and Culture Learning Center MC 042
University of Illinois at Chicago
703 S. Morgan Street
Chicago, IL 60607

For further information, please consult:
<http://tigger.uic.edu/depts/lclc/Research/symposium08.shtml>http://tigger.uic.e
du/depts/lclc/Research/symposium08.shtml

Poster Proposal for the Language Symposium 2008
April 25-26, 2008
Reconciling Language Learning and Assessment
Name___________________________________________________________________
Title ________________________Department _______________________________
Email___________________________________________________________________
Address_________________________________________________________________
Office phone ________________________Home/cell phone ____________________

Proposals should include a clear description of a project or study and its
implications. The abstract should clearly describe the following three
aspects: a) the teaching, learning or programmatic issue that is being
addressed regarding assessment; b) the materials or assessment techniques
that were developed, and c) the affected outcome or changes. Maximum

--
John Paluch
Study Abroad Adviser

Susanne Rott
Associate Professor and German Language Program Director
Language and Culture Learning Center Director
Language Center MC 043
703 S. Morgan Street
Chicago, Il 60607
312-996-2119