LLTI Archives

January 2008, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 13:26:59 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from National Foreign Language Resource Center

>Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 18:14:18 -1000 (HST)
>From: National Foreign Language Resource Center <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Selected Papers from Pragmatics in the CJK Classroom: The State of the
Art (new online publication)
>To: [log in to unmask]

Our apologies for any cross-postings . . .

The Center for Japanese Studies, the National Resource Center - East Asia,
and the National Foreign Language Resource Center at the University of
Hawai'i at Manoa are pleased to announce a jointly sponsored online
publication: "Selected Papers from Pragmatics in the CJK Classroom: The
State of the Art" (Dina R. Yoshimi and Haidan Wang, eds.).  The
publication can be accessed at:

		http://nflrc.hawaii.edu/CJKProceedings/

This publication presents research results and instructional innovations
pertaining to teaching and learning the pragmatics of Chinese (Mandarin),
Japanese, and Korean as foreign languages.  Topics covered include the
development of pragmatic competence by children and college-age students
in foreign and second language settings, pragmatics-focused instruction on
the mixed use of speech styles in JFL and KFL classrooms, as well as the
explicit instruction of requests and of telling stories of personal
experience to lower level JFL learners; the use of "aizuchi" by
intermediate and advanced JFL learners in classroom and office hour
settings; cross-linguistic comparisons of the speech act of apology and of
leave-taking practices designed to inform CFL instruction for
English-speaking learners; and designing pragmatics-focused CFL
instructional activities for business professionals in a China-focused MBA
program.  The articles in the volume include:

Table of Contents

Unlocking the promise of pragmatics
- Dina R. Yoshimi, University of Hawai'i at Manoa

Quantitative and qualitative analyses of students' views on the
storytelling project
- Yukie Aida, University of Texas at Austin

Teaching the polite and the deferential speech levels, using media
materials: Advanced KFL classroom settings
- Andrew Sangpil Byon, University at Albany, State University of New York

"Love you" doesn't mean "I love you": Just a way to say goodbye
The nature of leave-taking and its pragmatic applications in Mandarin
Chinese
- Jin-huei Enya Dai, Monterey Institute of International Studies

Aizuchi responses in JFL classrooms: Teacher input and learner use
- Yukiko Abe Hatasa, Hiroshima University

Developing understanding of how the desu/masu and plain forms express
one's stance
- Kazutoh Ishida, University of Hawai'i at Manoa

Becoming a good conversationalist: Pragmatic development of JFL learners
- Tomoko Iwai, University of Hawai'i at Manoa

The development of pragmatic competence in children learning Japanese as a
second language
- Kimberly Jones, University of Arizona

What do JFL learners want to do in Japanese in Japan?: A case study of
learners in college-level study abroad programs
- Naoko Nemoto, Mount Holyoke College

JFL learners' pragmatic development and classroom interaction examined
from a language socialization perspective
- Yumiko Tateyama, University of Hawai'i at Manoa

The elements of the business Chinese curriculum: A pragmatic approach
- Haidan Wang, University of Hawai'i at Manoa

Production and perception of apologies: Interlanguage pragmatics of
British learners of Mandarin Chinese
- Catherine Hua Xiang, University of Bristol

  N           National Foreign Language Resource Center
   F          University of Hawai'i
    L         1859 East-West Road, #106
     R        Honolulu HI 96822
      C       voice: (808) 956-9424, fax: (808) 956-5983
              email: [log in to unmask]
VISIT OUR WEBSITE!   http://nflrc.hawaii.edu

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.