LLTI Archives

January 2008, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:45:14 -0500
(1) from  [log in to unmask]

++++++++++

(2) from  [log in to unmask]

Hello,

I use IMTool DVD Ripper Platinum to rip the DVD and so far it's been working
great.  The price is around $50.  For video conversion, I also use XiliSoft
Video Converter 3.

Dr. Ros Adulseranee
Multimedia Programmer
eLearning Services,
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL

++++++++++
(3) from  [log in to unmask]

I have been doing some of the same things and ran into problems until
I bought winavi.  I believe that it costs $30 and converts from vob,
avi and wmv to rm, avi, wmv and vob.

Good luck,
Robert

Robert Summers
Coordinator of Language Technologies and Infrastructure
University at Albany
HU 238
1400 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12222

++++++++++

(4) from [log in to unmask]

The webmaster at my college is fond of Handbrake. There is also a
software called "IMTOO DVD Ripper" that I have used in the language lab.

Jason Vance
Language Learning Center Supervisor
Thomas Nelson Community College
(757) 825 -2819

++++++++++

(5) from   [log in to unmask]

I suggest 123 DVD converter. The trial version may be used for up to
10minute long segments. It's the length that we need mostly anyway. It
seems to work fine most of time.
http://www.dvdvideotool.com/

Kay Yang
Center for the Study of Languages
University of Chicago

++++++++++

)6) from Birgit Deir

Hello, Mark,

I had a similar problem; but then one of our IT people found mplayerc.exe, which
is free and doesn't leave watermarks or convert just half of the file, etc.

I hope this helps,
Birgit

Birgit Deir
Emerson Language Lab Director
Nazareth College
Rochester, New York

++++++++++

(7) from Birgit

Hello, Mark,
mplayerc.exe actually plays DVDs. I also used a free conversion software that
didn't have the listed problems. I will let you know when I find it.
Birgit

Hello, Mark,
I used SimpleDivX to rip a DVD with permission- as recommended by the
publisher's tech support. The settings are a bit tricky, though.
http://www.simpledivx.org/main/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=29&func=fi
leinfo&id=4
Birgit

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching