LLTI Archives

December 2007, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2007 15:00:54 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 11:36:43 -0700
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #8721 CAD software for lab/classroom design

Many of the big CAD publishers offer education discounts of about 90%,
which make them affordable for our budgets.  For example, a
consistently top-rated Architectural CAD package, Vectorworks Designer
2008, is available from Academic Superstore for $140 (Mac and PC).
Others are also available, such as AutoCAD Student at $159, although it
expires 14 months after purchase.

<http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.html?PartNo=859667>

I don't know if you need that level of power and detail.  There are
many positive attributes to the free Google SketchUp.  It does both 2D
and 3D, and converting to 3D is easier with SketchUp than with most
programs that I have tried.  It has lots of capabilities, and a growing
user community.  There is a downloadable free version and a Pro
version, both for Mac and PC.

<http://sketchup.google.com/>

Derek

> I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations for new CAD
> software for lab/classroom design, preferably on the Mac platform but
> I am willing to consider Windows based software as well. I'd be
> grateful for any experiences you can share. Thanks. MVK

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico